Saturday, February 16, 2013

Angels On the Farm?


"Thank you for the beautiful music," her text read. My neighbor sent that text at 12:42 a.m. The next morning when I saw it, I assured her we had been asleep. She said she was just sure it was Danny and the kids singing. She had taken her dogs out late that night, heard the sound and stood outside to listen.  "I thanked God for the beautiful night sky, wonderful neighbors and the music," her text continued.  That was three months ago.

I wondered myself from where the music had come. There is only one house close to ours. I know sound carries and I know it could be explained away.  I laughed it off until she heard it again. Sometimes the boys in my family drag the drum kit outside, plug up the amps and go for it. But we don't do that at night. And they haven't played music outside in a long time anyway. So I reiterated that it wasn't us. But she said:  “Are you sure? I was facing your house and it was coming from your way.” When I assured her that we had already gone to bed about an hour before she heard the music, she said, “Well it was the strangest thing! The minute the music stopped, the lights in your house went out. So I went back inside.  It sounded just like Danny and the songs he sings with your kids.”

This came up again when some gals from our little community got together last week. Another neighbor said she hears the music too. She said if she goes outside late at night she sometimes hears singing. "It's coming from your house!" she insisted. 

I'd like to think there are angels singing over us. That our neighbors are being blessed by something we can't explain. I don't really know because I've never heard it. But I know this: Often in the Bible, God's presence is manifested through visits by angels.  Zephaniah 3:17 says,
"The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”

Some time ago, Danny called me while on a trip in Australia. The reception was bad and he was kind of shaken up.  All he said was, "Cindy, angels are singing over us." That was six years ago and we are just now beginning to see a glimpse of the vision God was revealing for our family. We have been recording an album over the last 10 months. Much of the vocals were done here on the farm.  These are scripture memory songs.  So I can't help but think that all that scripture being sung in our house, is bringing the presence of the Lord.

One other thing. And I will finish with this. Our youngest son (who is very musical and sings all the time) pulled me aside this summer. With tears in his eyes he said, "Mama, when I sing I can hear angels singing with me. It is so wonderful that it makes me cry." A couple days later, I took this photo. It reminded me that God assigns His angels to watch over us.

So there you have it! I don't know exactly what is going on around here or what my neighbors are hearing. But I know the time on this farm is special. It has been a place for our family to be set apart these three years. We have grown in our love for Christ, for each other and for the people God has placed in our path. So I have no desire to try to explain it away. Much like my neighbor, I'm just saying, "Thank you."

1 comment:

Naomi said...

This post made me cry. Seriously. Everything about this makes me want to pack my bags and be your new neighbor. What a blessing and a comfort to know your faith is giving peace and comfort to those around you. You, your family and the way you've chosen to set yourselves apart is an ispiration to me. Thank you!